Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Farmer Boy early return---oops

Today the book Farmer Boy was accidentally returned to the library by my hubby. Oh well. And I was so intent on listing the life skills needed then. Well. I can now focus again on the travel diary. 

Today I spotted in the third journal (1931) that she references a place they passed 40 years earlier. It was a place a few dozen miles from Ft Scott. They found the same school house they had camped at 40 years prior. In 1894 that school has was brand spanking new. Little Rose and the other children played with the shavings from the school house then. 

Other things I noticed was the parking area. Church sheds became parking garages or lots. 

A modern day cultural reference would be an episode of The Walton's I saw yesterday. John-boy pulled up to a house for his new job. The house still had the hitching post with their family name etched on it in the front yard. No one uses the hitching post anymore but you can see how old meets new. 

(I tried to get a pic of the video of The Walton's THE JOB episode. I couldn't find it. The following picture shows a typical hitching lost in a tourist city.)


No comments:

Post a Comment